Thursday 17 January 2013

Book Review; The Crafter's Guide to Papercutting

Following on from my last post, I thought I would share with you a review on 'The Crafter's Guide to Papercutting' by Emily Hogarth.

First of all I'll start by saying that I love this book. This is the second book I have bought on learning to papercut and it is a vast improvement on the first. There isn't actually much to papercutting really but there is some stuff you need to know if you want to get off on the right foot, and 'TCGtP' has got it all in there. The layout is simple and clear, with step-by-step instructions and photographs. The author also talks about folded and multi-layer cuts, how to finish your work and covers designing your own papercuts. I was very impressed with the projects section, each is accompanied by excellent instructions and tips with the design template to the back of the book so plenty to practise with!

Overall I would definitely recommend 'The Crafter's Guide to Papercutting'. I love the bold designs and the way that Emily Hogarth makes the craft both simple and fun, even the more complex cuts. In fact, the only thing missing is a supplies/stockists page as I always appreciate being pointed in the direction of good websites supplying quality materials.

If you would like to find out more about Emily Hogarth, here is a link to her website.

I tried out a couple of templates from 'TCGtP' which you can see here and since then I have cut my own design 'live an enchanted life' and a rearing Arab horse which was reproduced from a photograph.



Sari xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment